by Laura Nickerson
After a long week of school and work, it’s easy to plop in front of the TV and roost for the weekend. But there are tons of things you can do that are not too exhausting and really fun.
- There is something really great about seeing a stand-up comedian and laughing until your sides hurt, but usually the jokes are made for grown-ups. Sometimes even I feel a little young for them, so I never imagined bringing my kids to see a stand-up comedian without providing some kind of earplugs and a self-bleeper. BUT, this looks really fun: the 2 Milk Minimum Showcase with host Michael Rayner from Sesame Street and performances by 10 and 11 year old comedians. It’s Saturday, August 23rd, at 4:30 pm at Flappers Comedy Club and Restaurant in NoHo and is part of the Burbank Comedy Festival, and you can call 818.693.6478 for details.
- If you haven’t seen Frozen yet…well, you probably don’t have or know anyone under the age of 10. BUT, now’s your chance-and for free! Its the Warner park Movie on the Green. Saturday, August 23rd, at dusk you can enjoy the hot weather with the coolest movie of the summer-Frozen. It’s at Warner Center Park on Topanga Blvd, which has plenty of room to run around and enjoy a picnic beforehand. Bring a blanket and chairs and your earplugs for those of you totally over the songs.
- We adults go to the gym and work out, but do our kids get that same chance? They do now! This Friday, August 22nd, at 11 a.m., you can take your kids to the Malibu Lagoon State Beach for a free physical fitness obstacle course. It’s $12 to park, but worth it to get your kids up and running around.
- The final Summer Sun Sets Concert is here and you don’t want to miss it! August 24th at 6 p.m. at the Calabasas Lake behind the Tennis and Swim center, catch The Section Quartet. They are featuring New West Symphony’s Lauren Chipman as they present this electrifying rock and roll show! You can visit cityofcalabasas.com for details. As always, byobcpds. Bring your own blankets, chairs, picnics and dancing shoes.
- All parents get pretty tired by the end of the day. Generally at the time the kids are just getting revved up. So, I came across an article that has fun games to play when you are feeling tired and it made me giggle, as well as giving me some great ideas.
Here are a few games to play with your kids when you are exhausted:
- T-shirt road map: Put on a cheap tee and have your kids draw a road on the back of it, then drive toy cars on it while you lay on your tummy.
- Mom is queen: You are the queen on the throne and the kids bring you fake tea, slippers, etc. I like this one the best, for obvious reasons.
- What’s on Mommy’s back?: They put toys on your back while you lie down with your eyes shut and guess what they are.
Hilarious and useful. Visit this article for more ideas.
You can always get more LA Kids Activities by following me on Twitter @nickerberger and checking out the hashtag #buzzLA. Also check out my show “The Buzz” at www.cityofcalabasas.com or on Channel 3 in the West Valley, and “SCV Buzz” on KHTS AM 1220 in Santa Clarita. I’ll be back next week with more fun family activities!