By Laura Nickerson
The Labor Day Weekend is upon us, and even though the thought of staying in, watching movie marathons and burying your face in a bag of something that hasn’t got any natural ingredients whatsoever sounds perfect, you might want to aim a little higher.
Here are my top 5 picks for some family fun this weekend:
1) Ok FOODIES! This one is for you…this weekend is the Los Angeles Times event “The TASTE” at Paramount Studios, and if you are a food lover, you will not want to miss this one. The event is going all weekend, Friday the 29th – Sunday the 31st, and has a variety of events that all involve copious amounts of delicious food and drink. Now, how does this involve the smaller sized person part of “Family Fun?” Well, you can bring your kids! What?? My vote for the best event for little ones is the Sunday Brunch, where the food will be great but the visitors might be less indulgent with the “adult beverages,” if you know what I mean (although they are still part of the deal, of course). How much? Well, tickets are $100. I know-not the low price I usually try to find for you. BUT…kids are only $5 each! So when you think about that, it’s not so bad for a really spectacular event. Click here for the link to tickets and more. Insider tip? Wear stretchy pants. If you throw on your maternity jeans, your secret is still safe with me.
2) I am a sucker for a good Concert in the Park, and this one will not only entertain your whole family, but might even flash you back to your formative years. It’s the Labor Day concert “Led Zepagain: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin” at the Conejo Community Park on Monday, September 1st at 5 p.m. and is sure to be a blast. Bring your own picnic, blanket and chairs and you might want to get there a little early to get a spot. Website on the band is www.zepagain.com for more info. It’s a great way to say goodbye to summer with your family.
3) We are so lucky to live in Southern California with it’s warm but beautiful weather. So why not enjoy some of it’s finest spots like Malibu with your kids? This Saturday August 31st at 10 a.m. you can join up for a free ranger led nature walk with your 2-7 year olds at Rocky Oaks Park, 107 Kanan Dume Rd., Malibu, Ca. It’s one of those great activities that are simple and inexpensive but give your kids outdoor time where they actually learn something.
4) I’m sure you have seen many amazing things in your life. But have you seen a Rhinoceros UP CLOSE? Didn’t think so, but here is your chance. Saturday, Sundays and Holidays at 1p.m. (ahem, reminder this weekend is a holiday), you can pay a small extra fee to get hang out with Randa the Indian Rhino at the LA Zoo. Visit the website for more info on how to get your kids to think you are the coolest parent on the planet. Remember, good parents don’t let their kids grow up with seeing a rhino up close.
5) Feel the music and love at the Rhythm and Joy Festival at Warner Park this Saturday, August 30th from 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. in Woodland Hills. Rejuvenate your body, soul and spirit at this day-long festival that is focused on transformational music, sustainable living and the creative arts. There will be wide range of performers, speakers, workshops and other attractions (like a children’s pavilion, a fashion show and parades), and it’s FREE! I feel the music in THAT.