by Laura Nickerson
Try some of these fun events for kids this weekend:
1) There is a great program at the Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum in Topanga called the Family Fundays, and this week, it’s bug-tastic! Sunday August 10th at 10:30 a.m., you can experience the musical stylings of Love Bug and Me, kids music with a variety of styles and world rhythms. Tickets are $10 for everyone over the age of 2. Visit www.theatricum.com for details. Your little love bugs will love these Love bugs! That is, if you love bugs…
2) You have to make sure you have caught some of the amazing Summer Sunset Concerts, like the upcoming Latin Music group Octavio Figueroa y La Combinacion’. This free concert is on August 10th starting at 6p.m. at the Calabasas Lake. Bring a picnic, chairs or a blanket, and your latin groove. You can even pre-order food at the Atmosphere Cafe by calling 818 222-0226. It’s so fun you may even find yourself dancing and singing along. Go ahead, nobody will judge you.
3) What??? You haven’t taken your kids to the fair yet? Me neither…but we SHOULD. This is the last weekend for the Ventura County Fair and it’s full of fun fair stuff like animals, rides, entertainment and really fattening food. Plus there are fireworks every night! Admission is $8-$12 and you can check out their site for hours and directions at www.venturacountyfair.com. Go and feel proud of yourself.
4) The Ford Amphitheatre has some super cool summer entertainment that you might want to catch before it’s over. This week is Big!World!Fun! travels to Cambodia. It’s August 9th at 10 a.m. and only $5 for adults and free for kids. Beautiful classical dance and music, plus lush costumes that make the show a dazzler for all ages. It’s a Saturday morning “to-do.” Because, face it, you probably don’t get to sleep in anyways.
5) It’s time to party in the ‘Bu, Malibu that is. Since summer is still a little toasty, head over to the Malibu Country Mart on Sunday, August 10th, from 12-3 p.m. for a Malibu Summer Block Party in the cool seaside air. Kids activities, food, fun and a calypso band! Sounds like a party to me. You say “Calypso,”and I’m partying.
You can always get more LA Kids Activities by following me on Twitter @nickerberger and checking out the hashtag #buzzLA. Also check out my show “The Buzz” at www.cityofcalabasas.com or on Channel 3 in the West Valley. I’ll be back next week with more fun family activities!