By Dr. Eric Blum
Are you feeling stressed-out? Run down? Exhausted? What choices are you making? When is now important enough?
We all promise to take a vacation from our busy lifestyles and unplug, but many of us still bring our computers, phones and work with us on “our” vacations. It is not until an injury or illness strikes for us to notice the imbalances in our life and health.
Proper Regeneration Vs. Degeneration
Your skin cells are replaced every 30 days and your red blood cells every 120. The quality and quantity of your life are determined by the choices that support or interfere with your body as it changes. Simply, your body is in a constant state of regeneration or degeneration.
If you regularly eliminate toxins–whether physical, chemical and/or mental– and reevaluate your life a few times per year, then you are healthier than 97 percent of the population! You clearly understand the importance of taking that time out for yourself to remove as many toxins from your body on a regular basis as possible.
For the rest, let’s detox our body naturally.
Here are simple guidelines to begin with:
1. Drink More Water–Your body is 60 percent Water. Experts once outlined that we should drink eight, 8-ounce glasses of water but have recently revised the recommendation. Now, it depends on your size and weight, your activity level and also where you live. Leading experts now, recommend that you should aim to drink daily an ounce of water for each pound you weigh. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, that would be 75 to 150 ounces of water a day. If you are living in a hot climate and regularly exercising, you would need to be aiming for the higher end of that range; if you are in a cooler climate and mostly sedentary, you would require less. The recommendation was redefined by experts as dehydration was becoming alarmingly notable with the apparent increase of cases of obesity and kidney stones.
2. Breathe Deeper–Remember to take deep oxygenating breaths several times daily. Our cells need oxygen to thrive! Cancer and disease flourish in an oxygen-deficient body. Taking exercise classes such as yoga can encourage deep, cleansing breaths and play a major role in promoting detoxification. It can help eliminate carbon dioxide from the lung tissue, stimulate the organs of digestion and can, over time, retrain the diaphragm to move freely.
3. Eat Alkaline Foods–Most people consume acidic foods and live an acidic lifestyle that is high stress, fast paced and laden with fast or convenient type style foods placing a significant strain on our body. Train your taste buds to crave more organic and natural foods to help your bodies natural process of detoxification and health.
4. Add or Increase Exercise–Start moving your body. Even if it is a brisk walk, get outside and get moving. Your body, from your head to your toes, will thank you for it.
5. Mindset–A healthy detox is not just about cleansing the physical body, but also the mind. Keep positive and remember how far you have come. Read your affirmations and take time out for ‘you’ on a daily basis. Read or listen to motivating and educational information, which will support you in maintaining your new healthy lifestyle.
6. Support With Nutritional Supplements–Invest in supplements to help cleanse to replenish essential nutrients.
Life on the go? Supercharge with amazing whole-food smoothies! These nutritional drinks are jammed packed with vitamins and minerals and deliver helpful vital fruit and vegetable nutrition to support your body quickly.
7. Change Your Lifestyle Choices–The focus needs to be on identifying what your body needs and making lifestyle choices that provide those requirements so your body can perfectly express its given design for health and the highest quality of life. Create a balance of sufficiency between the ends of the spectrum of toxicity and deficiency.
8. Support A Healthy Nervous System–Get chiropractic adjustments regularly to maintain an optimal nerve supply which is the delivery system of messages from your brain to your entire body and vital organs.
Dr. Eric Blum runs Synergy Chiropractic and Sports Rehabilitation in Westlake Village. He is also the official chiropractic consultant to the L.A. Dodgers