by Chef Lala
I remember as a child, along with my two sisters and brother, making my mom pancakes and taking it to her in bed on Mother’s Day.
My son, Maddox, has adopted the tradition by creating his and my favorite Mother’s Day breakfast.
Cinnamon Apple Pancakes
- 13/4 cups pancake mix
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water or fat-free
1 egg, lightly beaten,
- or 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
- 1/2 cup green apples,
peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Spray griddle or large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat to mediumheat.
2. Combine pancake mix and cinnamon in large mixing bowl. Make a well in
center of mixture. Add water, egg, applesauce, apples and walnuts. Stir with wire
whisk just until blended.
3. Using 1/4 -cup measure or 2-ounce ladle, pour batt er onto griddle. Cook
pancakes on griddle until golden brown on each side, turning once.
Makes 12 pancakes
Per Serving (1 pancake): 124 calories, 3.8g fat (.4g saturated, .9g monounsaturated, 2.2g
polyunsaturated), 18mg cholest erol, 285mg sodium, 18.5g carbohydrate (1.1g dietary fi ber),
A Cordon Bleu-trained chef, Chef Lala is also a cookbook author, certified nutritionist and motivational speaker who has brought her message to the Today Show, Martha Stewart, Dr. Oz, Discovery Health National Body Challenge and The Biggest Loser, Spanish edition. Click here to go to her website.