by Helen Hartel
Cuda, who is a nine-year-old mixed breed, came to the Agoura Animal Shelter from Lancaster via the LA County Shelter to Shelter program. A Lancaster Shelter officer felt the Agoura team could give her the best chance to heal. She’s not had an easy life: her teeth are filed down and she was used heavily for breeding. This poor girl was neglected and never experienced the kindness of the human touch.
Although very sweet, she remains timid, cowering when she first interacts with a stranger and often flops flat to the ground when she is scared or unsure. When it all becomes too much for Cuda, she is gently picked up and carried back from the play yard to her kennel cage. Volunteers are showering her with love and affection, and she seems to be slowly healing emotionally.
Here are some things you should know about her:
She is well-behaved.
- Once comfortable with a person, her posture becomes more erect.
- She responds to under chin scratching and then behind the ear as long as the outstretched hand is extended from a low position otherwise she begins to cower.
- She gently takes treats when the shelter is quiet.
- While in foster care, she didn’t have any house accidents.
- She proved to be good with cats.
- Her foster home had a three-year-old child who she was okay with.
- She was returned from foster because she was unable to get along with the other female dog in the home.
- Given what she has been through, she should be a one and only dog.
- She often walks in a crouched, submissive position until she is sure of herself.
This painfully shy but sweet senior bulldog is truly the saddest pup we’ve ever had at the Agoura Animal Shelter. We just know there has to be a special someone out there who can give her a loving home and the help she needs to mend her broken spirit. Could that be you or someone you know?
To adopt Cuda, request A4889212.The Agoura Shelter is at 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura Hills. Occasionally pets have already been adopted. To check availability, call 818-991-0071 or visit http://animalcare.lacounty.gov.