by Helen Hartel
No one knows how this cute Chihuahua ended up with the name Grimes–he does have a dusty brown coat–but it is in no way reflective of his demeanor or grooming habits. He is a three-year-old that appears to have had very few social experiences in his short life and is cautious with new people, though enjoys being with other dogs. His confidence is building since coming to Agoura, and he is affectionate with the volunteers he knows. He is now ready to be adopted into a fantastic forever home.
Here are some things you should know about him:
- He is an adorable, quiet little boy.
- He is learning to walk while leashed; however, his preference is to be held on someone’s lap.
- He has had lots of roommates and has gotten along with all of them.
- He was pretty dirty and had a skin condition when transferred to Agoura, but through weekly baths, his fur is getting back to normal.
- He is the perfect size for a house, condo or apartment.
- He would make a great companion for a small dog already in the household provided that dog would accept him.
The volunteers have discovered a great way to leash train Grimes. When taking him for walks, he will companionably walk alongside another small dog. That plus a lot of encouraging treats have helped him build his courage. Some of the volunteers call him “Zen boy” because of his consistent calm behavior and easy personality. Nothing seems to get him riled up. Ask to meet him today.
To adopt Grimes, request A4857719. The Agoura Shelter is at 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura Hills. Occasionally pets have already been adopted. To check availability, call 818-991-0071 or visit animalcare.lacounty.gov.