by Laura Nickerson
Looking for a fun activity that doesn’t cost too much? How about ones that take you to a new place for a fun adventure? Try some of these fun events for kids this weekend:
1) I think this might be the best event for kids I have ever heard of–The Great Root Beer Taste Off! It’s like wine tasting, but for kids. Sunday, July 20th, from 5-8 p.m. head over to Galco’s Old World Grocery in Highland Park to taste over 75 types of root beers, birch beers, and sasparillas while helping the Friends of the Southwest Museum Coalition. $5 for kids 5-11 and $12 for you is totally worth it. Visit http://galcos.dreamhosters.com/?p=934 for details and directions. So your kids will get totally hopped up on sugar at bedtime, who cares? It the summer peeps, relax.
2) The Hollywood Bowl is so great on a summer night, but you probably wouldn’t bring your kids for a long, slow evening of classical music unless your kids are actually robots. BUT, there’s a chance for them to really enjoy the Bowl this Friday the 18th and Saturday the 19th at the DreamWorks Animation in Concert. They will play clips from great movies like Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda while they perform the score live. There’s even a familiar host, Jack Black! Click here http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/dreamworks-animation-concert-celebrating-20-years/2014-07-18 for info. Jack Black, the Bowl, easy metro access. Good times.
3) Pool party and retro 80‘s sci fi? I’m in and I’m guessing you are, too. It’s the movie E.T. at the Dine in Movie Night this Friday, July 18th, at the Calabasas Tennis and Swim center. The party starts at 5:30 p.m. and the free movie starts at 8:30 p.m. You must get a ticket in advance from the CTSC, so call 818-222-2782 to get ‘em.
WARNING: You may need to explain the whole “Phone Home” thing, the young ones don’t know what we did before texting.
4) Might be nice to show your kids how music worked without anything involving a plug or battery, and this free event can help you do just that. On Saturday, 7/19, from 6:30-8 p.m., you can all enjoy some Native American flute music for free at Satwiwa Cultural Center in Newbury Park. Info is here http://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/satwiwa-native-american-indian-culture-center.htm and make sure you are dressed to be outside. You will all appreciate the group unplug.
5) It takes a lot of juggling to be a parent, so why not go and watch a pro do it while you relax for a bit! David Cousin, holder of five World Records in juggling is performing his comedy/juggling show twice on Saturday the 19th. It’s at 11 a.m. at the Grant. R Brimhall Library Community Room and at 2 p.m., at the Newbury Park Branch Library Meeting Room. Both events are free and rumor is that libraries have air conditioning. Details here: http://www.tol.lib.ca.us/Kids/summer_reading_club_2014.html.
You can always get more LA Kids Activities by following me on Twitter @nickerberger and checking out the hashtag #buzzLA. Also check out my show “The Buzz” at www.cityofcalabasas.com or on Channel 3 in the West Valley. I’ll be back next week with more fun family activities!