So much fun, so little time! Here are our Happening’s picks for the weekend and as always, don’t forget to check out our calendar daily for lots of fresh ideas.
Kingsmen Shakespeare Festival at CLU: This summer, the Kingsmen Shakespeare Festival at California Lutheran University will feature “Measure for Measure” for the first time in its 19 years. Weekend performances will begin at 8 p.m. on June 26 through 28, July 2 and 3, July 5, and July 10 through 12 in Kingsmen Park.
City of Moorpark 3rd of July Fireworks Extravaganza:The City of Moorpark presents its 3rd of July Fireworks Extravaganza at Arroyo Vista Park, 4550 Tierra Rejada Road, Moorpark. Admission is $5 per person; children 4 and under are free. Visit moorparkca.gov/578/3rd-of-July-Fireworks-Extravaganza or call 805.517.6300 for more information.
- A full morning of activities is planned beginning with Boy Scout Troop #752’s pancake breakfast located at the former hospital property at 4415 Lakeview Canyon at 8 a.m. Breakfast tickets are available for purchase for $5 per person or $20 per family on the day of the event or by calling John Barrus at 805-300-5890. The parade will begin at the same location at 9:45 a.m. The parade follows a short four-block route to Berniece Bennett Park. Following the Parade, Boy Scout Troop #485 will perform a U.S. Flag Retirement Ceremony at the park. After the ceremony, the fun continues with inflatable activities, crafts, music, old fashioned park games, free popsicles and water. The Rotary Club of Westlake Village will be selling hot dogs for $1. The event ends at 12 noon. For more information, please call Westlake Village City Hall at 818-706-1613 or visit the City’s website at www.wlv.org/parade.818-706-1613.
2nd Annual Westlake Village July 4th Fireworks Spectacular
- The driving range at the Westlake Village Golf Course will be open to the public at 5 p.m. with free seating, food trucks, games, and entertainment that will all lead up to the incredible fireworks show at 9:10 p.m. Residents may bring a picnic or purchase food from the food vendors. For more information regarding the event, please visit the City’s website at www.wlv.org/fireworks or contact City Hall at 818-706-1613.
Calabasas Fireworks Spectacular
For information on buying tickets, go to www.cityofcalabasas.com/events/fireworks.html
- Location: Calabasas High School Football Field (22855 W. Mulholland Hwy.)
- Schedule: 5-8:30 p.m., Family Fun Zone hosted by “Who’s That DJ?”! Zone includes games and prizes, inflatables, arts and crafts, temporary tattoos, stilt walkers, balloons and more! (Note: Fun Zone closes at 8:30pm when the sun goes down); 7:15-8:45 p.m., Live musical dance party with Air Play plus additional patriotic surprises; 9 p.m., musically choreographed Fireworks Spectacular!
- Seating: Field seating on synthetic grass turf & limited stand seating. Low back lawn chairs and blankets strongly recommended.
- The Miller Family YMCA in Newbury Park is hosting the 5th Annual Independence Day 5K/10K, Classic Car Show and Community Parade. This is a family-friendly event with a course that rolls through the beautiful community of Dos Vientos Ranch. A 5K/10K starts at 7:30 a.m. and pancakes start cooking at 7 a.m. There will be live music, a patriotic parade at 10 a.m., a classic car show and free kids fun zone. For more information, visit www.sevymca.org
/newburypark/ht ml/july4th.html or call (805) 480-0309 to obtain an entry form into the car show.
City of Thousand Oaks 4th of July Home Run Derby and More!
- The Senior Home Run Derby takes place at the Borchard Community Center is $5 from 9-11 a.m. Call 805/381-2744 for info; or the Home Run Derby, Borchard Community Center, $5 is from 8:30-10:30 a.m. For info, calll 805/495-4674 (for men and women and men’s masters 40+) Each batter is given 10 outs. A home run is a fair ball hit over the fence. Plaques awarded to top finishers. The Pancake Breakfast is $3/person at Borchard Community Center from 8-11 a.m. and is all you can eat! There’s also free Family Open Swim from 12-4 p.m. at three Conejo Valley Pools–Community Pool at CLU, Thousand Oaks High School and Newbury Park High School pools. Call 805/241-0894 for info.
Janns Marketplace Free Fireworks Spectacular-Thousand Oaks
- The Janss Marketplace Fireworks Spectacular is non-stop family fun from 5-9 p.m. with music in two locations at the center, bounces houses and face painters. Everyone will be dancing to the DJ music in the fountain courtyard, and The Radio Rebels, Southern California’s premier 80’s
Dance Party band will perform from 6 – 9 p.m. on the Parking Structure Rooftop. The fireworks begin at approximately 9 p.m. Click here for more information.
Native American Art Exhibit at Satwiwa Center: The National Park Service will host a Native American art exhibit from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tongva-Acjachemen artist, writer, tribal scholar and indigenous language activist L. Frank Manriquez will exhibit her art for the first time.
City of Agoura Hills Concerts in the Park/Fireworks Show:“Zoot Suit Review” will perform with a fireworks show following at about 9 p.m.