by Laura Moss
You don’t have to spend lots of money for great entertainment in the Conejo Valley. In fact, there are plenty of free concerts being offered this summer, so we decided to round them all up for you, by city, so be sure to bookmark.
THOUSAND OAKS – Conejo Park and Recreation Department
Concerts in the Park: Bring your blankets, lawn chairs, and picnics, then sit back and relax to the sounds of summer! Concerts begin promptly at 5 p.m. Jackets or sweaters are recommended as the weather often cools during the latter part of the event. The Summer Concerts in the Park are well attended; early arrival to obtain prime lawn seating is encouraged. Concertgoers are asked to leave pets at home. Takes place at Conejo Community Park, 1175 Hendrix Avenue, Thousand Oaks .
- Independence Day Concert with the Conejo Pops Orchestra, Elmer Ramsey: A fourth of July tradition in the Conejo Valley! Under the baton of Elmer Ramsey, the 40-piece Conejo Pops Orchestra brings a program of patriotic and Americana music to life, including selections from famed composers John Philip Sousa and George M. Cohan. Plus special guests The Sherwood Singers. Song list includes such patriotic favorites as “God Bless the USA,” “Semper Fidelis” and “Stars & Stripers Forever.”
- Tribute to the Music of Chicago – Kenny Cetera’s Chicago Experience: (July 20) Authentically recreating the classic hits of Chicago, Kenny Cetera (brother of legendary Chicago front man Peter Cetera) leads his 8-piece band with a prominent horn section.
- Party like it’s 1979! AbbaFab: The Premier ABBA Experience: (Aug. 10) Called one of the best ABBA tribute shows in the Western states, AbbaFab consistently plays to SRO audiences across the US.
- Led Zepagain: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin Labor Day Concert: (Sept. 1): Led Zepagain, the only Led Zeppelin tribute band endorsed by Jimmy Page himself, recreates the ultimate Zeppelin concert experience.
WESTLAKE VILLAGE–City of Westlake Village
Saturday Concerts in the Park: All events begin at 7 p.m. with food available for purchase beginning at 6 p.m. with the exception of the July 11 movie night which begins approximately 8:15 p.m.
- World Tour: Legends of Rock, (A Classic Rock Concert): (July 14)
- July 26: Silverados, Country Music Concert: (July 26)
- August 9: Super Soul Band Featuring Durrell Coleman Concert : (Aug. 9)
CALABASAS – City of Calabasas
2014 Sun Sets Concert Series at Calabasas Lake: All concerts begin at 6 p.m. and are free to the public. Located on the Greenbelt at Calabasas Lake (open to public during concerts) Enter at The Calabasas Tennis & Swim Center (located at 23400 Park Sorrento) Parking – 2 locations (please note the Calabasas Inn is under construction and is no longer a park & ride destination). Bring a picnic or pre-order one through Atmosphere Café located at the Calabasas Tennis & Swim Center. Visit www.atmospherecatering.com to check out the menu and pre-order online for a special discount using a credit card.
- QUEEN NATION – A TRIBUTE TO THE MUSIC OF QUEEN : (July 13) Take a retrospective journey through such Queen songs as “We Will Rock You” and “Bohemian Rhapsody” with one of the nation’s greatest live tribute acts!
- OCTAVIO FIGUEROA Y LA COMBINACION’! : (Aug. 10) Latin Music and Dance Night is back and this up-tempo group will have you dancing in no time! Professional instructors will be on hand throughout the concert to teach you how.
- From Bach to Radiohead, with Lauren & Friends : (Aug. 24) New West principal violinist Lauren Chipman brings her eclectic musical sensibility with a program ranging from classical music to rock and pop. Co-presented with New West Symphony.
AGOURA HILLS – City of Agoura Hills
Concerts are free to the public with a suggested donation of $2. With the exception of the July 20 concert, all concerts are held at Chumash Park, 555o Medea Valley Drive, Agoura Hills, and shows start at 6 p.m. Food is available for sale at a nominal fee beginning at 5 p.m. For more information, go to www.agourahillsrec.org
- Raymond Michael: A Tribute to Elvis: (July 6) This concert features fireworks and a Citywalk.
- Conejo Valley Community Concert & Jazz Bands: (July 20) This special concert takes place at the Agoura High School Performing Arts Education Center (PAEC), 28545 West Driver Ave.
- Music of Ambrosia: (Aug. 3) Takes place at Chumash Park.
- Fan Halen: (Aug. 17) Takes place at Chumash Park.